HOW TO ADD A NEW STAFF MEMBER
Basic summary of steps is highlighted in blue – the rest of the guide explains the options available and what they do.
To add a new staff member, we need to create a new Operator.
There are 2 ways;
1. Add a staff member with specific details and permissions.
Allowing you to choose their sign on code, password and specify exactly what functions you want to allow or block them from doing on the till. (Refunds, Voids, Back office access, Reports. etc.)
2. Quick add – Essentially this way is used for copying a staff member. All of the permissions and tick boxes from an existing staff member will be copied to a new operator with a new name and password. This is very handy if you need to create multiple new staff members that have the same role – Floor staff, Managers etc. All you are changing is the names and passwords and you are done in seconds. (This button can be password protected for manager use only).
(For this option you will need to have a button on the admin screen – ask support if you would like this option added – You will find this example at the very bottom of the guide.)
How to Add a New Staff Member:
( – Go to back office, Hit Utilities – then Operator – Type a new name, enter to accept, give staff details, name and a password – then add the permissions(functions), Tick boxes on the right hand side to display button and allow reports, hit save to accept. Done. )
Go to your ‘ADMIN’ or ‘PAYSCREEN’ page.
Hit BACK OFFICE
Hit Utilities on the far right (Green Button)
Then Hit Operators on the left-hand side on the second row.
Operator Setup Screen
- Name: Staff members name
- Sign on Code: This will be a numerical number that the staff member needs to type into the manual sign on box (a simple 2-digit number will suffice).
- Password: Staff members login password – leave blank if you wish.
- Hot Code: Used as a quick way of logging a staff member in from any part of the software.
Do not use Hot codes as some numbering can conflict with open prices – it’s best to ask Costa Systems support first.
- Titles: Can be used to record the role – Staff, Manager, Supervisor, Temp Staff etc.
- Qualifications: As above – not really used.
- Follow On: Used to automatically do a certain function within the software at time of log on.
Along the right-hand side, we have a few tick boxes:
- Display Button: Displays the users login name at the login screen – staff can hit their name instead of having to manually type the sign on code first.
- Allow Screen Changes: Allows the staff member to make changes to your POS screens and buttons.
- Allow Reports: Allows staff to do an end of day and run sales reports. (Essential for the staff member to complete a cash up.)
- Trainee: Flags the staff member as a trainee – this is helpful in situations where you want an employee to remember or ask certain things at time of sale, sale of alcohol or tobacco.
- Disable Button: Disables the user button so they cannot manually tap their name to sign on. They must use manual login to type their sign on code and password.
- Default Sales Screen: This is the default page number that the till software will show the staff member when they login.
Type the new staff member’s name into the box.
Confirm the creation of the new staff member…
See tick boxes explanation above for more information, but for now, we will set up a basic user with all till functions and no access to the back office or screen changes.
See below the exact options selected.
Button is displayed so no need for sign on code – just a password needed to log in.
Reports box ticked to allow staff to do an end of day.
Back office un-ticked because we don’t want this staff member to be able to access the back office (Detailed reports and system changes).
Once you are happy with the new staff details, we can set the permissions.
Functions / Permissions
Here we will set up the permissions for our new staff member.
Hit Functions to display the available permissions – we will go through some of these options to familiarize with what they do.
Refunds: Allows staff to do refunds
Voids: Allows staff to correct mistakes, use void buttons to remove products from a sale line or table/charge sheet.
Discounts: Allows staff to use discount buttons to apply discounts to products.
No Sales: Allows the staff member to open the cash drawer without a sale (No Sale Button).
Paid In: Allows staff to Pay money into the till. Till will account for the money in the End of Day.
Paid out: Same as above except money is coming out of the till. (Pay Window cleaner, Float etc)
No Stock Override: Allows a staff member to sell an item that has no physical stock available according to the system.
No Refund Override: Allows staff to override the restrictions to refunds.
Allow Quit: Allows the staff member to quit the software (This is essential as sometimes support will request you to restart the software).
Error Correct: Allows the staff to correct an invest error in the middle of a sale.
Unlock Charge Sheet: Allows staff to unlock a locked charge sheet
Disable Customer Editing: Blocks the staff member from editing a customer’s details.
Table Planner Edit: Allows staff member to edit the Table Plan; permission to rearrange table locations within the table planner.
To assign these functions to the staff member all you are doing is selecting the function from the left side and then hitting the arrows button pointing to the right. To remove you do the opposite. Hit Save when you are finished.
The New staff member has been successfully set up and you can login using the button and entering the password at the sign on screen.
If you have the Operator Copy button on your admin screen its as simple as hitting the button, selecting an existing staff member to clone, give the new staff member a name and password if you wish and hit ACCEPT to finish. You may then login with the new staff members details.
If you require any assistance with any of the above, please call your Costa Systems support number or email email@example.com